This page has moved to a new address.

Mini Monday - Muddy Feet

Natural Kids: Mini Monday - Muddy Feet

Monday, May 3, 2010

Mini Monday - Muddy Feet

Etsy: Your place to buy & sell all  things handmade
MuddyFeet.etsy.com


Meet Kelly of Muddy Feet :

Eww, I've stepped in mud
Everything at a time
And nothing at once

Nathan, Age 8

My son wrote this shortly after we removed him from public school to begin home-schooling him. We had been realizing that the school was following a different path than the one we wanted to be on. This really hit home on a day when I introduced writing poetry and suggested my son pick something he wanted to write about. When he couldn't decide, I told him it could be anything, even something as silly as standing in mud.

He gave me such a strange look then, and I realized that since starting school, he hadn't done anything of the sort, and couldn't fathom why someone would want to do such a thing. After all, his school wouldn't let kids play on the playground if there was any mud. It was dirty, gross, unwelcome.

After some coaxing, and some tears, I was able to get him to stand in a puddle with his shoes off and feel that wonderful experience that all children should know.

It's all about mud
It always oozes on my toes
Goes everywhere

also by Nathan, age 8

Now both of my sons happily create with mud. They look beyond the dirt and they see the possibilities. My store banner tries to capture this. If you look carefully, you will notice the footprint is filled with water reflecting the sky above and if you look more closely, you can make out a shadowy reflection of a tree and maybe even a bird. The whole world is reflected in that squishy, squashy puddle of mud. A world of possibilities.

article by prettydreamer

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger FairiesNest said...

What a marvelous post! (and a marvelous shop as well!)

May 3, 2010 at 1:13 PM  
Blogger Emmanuelle said...

Great post indeed!

May 3, 2010 at 4:00 PM  
Blogger Saints and Spinners said...

This is my favorite Etsy bio to date. And that's saying something. :)

May 5, 2010 at 12:09 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home