This page has moved to a new address.

Make a Small Waldorf Doll - Part I

Natural Kids: Make a Small Waldorf Doll - Part I

Thursday, March 11, 2010

Make a Small Waldorf Doll - Part I



Today's tutorial is by Cyn of Fairiesnest shop on Etsy. Check in next Thursday for Part II of her lovely tutorial!

Making A Doll - Part I

First I start by making some small Waldorf doll heads. You can find a much better tutorial than I could give here. Mine are quite small, about 2.5 to 3 inches in diameter. I use cotton stockinette for the underhead but you can also use nylon stocking material if you want to use a recycled material. The heads are then covered with cotton knit fabric and the eyes are indented.



Next I usually paint the face. I use gel pens for the whites of the eyes and pencils for shading and cheeks. Everything else is done with nontoxic Micron Pigma pens which have extremely fine points and won't run or smudge. (LOVE them!)



Now I attach the head to its wire skeleton. I use two pipe cleaners twisted together, and then twisted back on themselves, for both the arms and the legs. This creates a doll that is very sturdy and won't break with play. I also sew the head to the wire skeleton so it can't be pulled off...I have boys so I've learned to make toys that can withstand a lot of active play.



Next I wrap the bodies with wool roving and hold it in place by wrapping with thread.



Now you have a doll that is ready to dress. Next week's tutorial will cover hair, dress, and more!

What's in FairiesNest's shop? Beautiful rabbit stuffed animals like this one, made from felted sweaters and stuffed with wool.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Beth said...

Wonderful tutorial! Thank you so much! And I have been admiring your rabbits very, very much, too! love, Beth

March 11, 2010 at 6:41 PM  
Blogger Barbara Oudejans said...

Great tutorial! You'r heads are very nice! I will mention this post on my own weblog, if you don't mind! ♥ Barbara

March 12, 2010 at 3:50 AM  
Blogger BirchLeaf Designs - Wendy and Mojo said...

Awesome Cyn! You make it look so easy!

March 12, 2010 at 6:32 AM  
Blogger prettydreamer said...

Cyn, Thank you for sharing ... what a wonderful post!! ~Pamela

March 12, 2010 at 10:35 AM  
Blogger Trudi - Me and Ewe said...

Thanks for the tutorial - I look forward to the follow up.

March 18, 2010 at 7:42 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thank you! How did you do the nose though?

September 14, 2018 at 8:24 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home