This page has moved to a new address.

How-To Make Newspaper Seedling Pots

Natural Kids: How-To Make Newspaper Seedling Pots

Thursday, February 25, 2010

How-To Make Newspaper Seedling Pots



Newspaper seedling pots by Erin from Imagination Kids shop

Every year I start my own seeds for my garden and every year that means I buy tons of those little peat pots for my seeds to grow in. Well this year I decided to try something else. I had already purchased some "coconut fiber" (peat pots are contributing to the destruction of peat bogs read more about that here seedling pots but I have all ready run of those so I thought I would try my hand at making recycled newspaper pots.

Materials
Newspaper
tape
spice container
scissors



1. Get a full sheet of newspaper. I am actually using a "magazine" insert from the paper that's why the print is on its side.



2. Cut the sheet of newspaper in half. You can cut more than one sheet at a time to save time.



3. Now fold that piece in half. You can fold either side because the piece of newspaper is roughly a square.



4. Now fold approximately a an inch down on the folded edge. This will make your pot a bit sturdier.



5. Then take out your spice container or what ever item that is the approximate diameter you want your pots to end up. Lay the container down on the folded newspaper. Make sure you leave 3/4"-1" over hang on the newspaper, this will form the bottom of your pot.



6. Roll the newspaper up around the container.



7. Stand the rolled up container up with the overhang on top. make sure to keep the paper from unrolling.



8. Fold the over hang down kinda like you are wrapping a present.



9. Now take and small piece of tape and tape down the last flap on the bottom.



10. Tada! You have a seedling pot!



You can then tap four of our pots together at the top and form "seedling" trays.



And for your viewing pleasure... the first crocus of the season.



What's in Imagination Kids' Etsy shop? A beautiful iceberg wooden stacker toy (how appropriate for the Vancouver Olympics!)

7 Comments:

Blogger mrsbeccijo said...

How great! I was going to buy one of those handmade fancy ones, but now I can save the money or spend it on some new toys in her shop!
Beccijo
http://www.beccijo.com
http://www.theenchantedcupboard.etsy.com

February 25, 2010 at 2:05 PM  
Blogger Kim van Waardenburg said...

I love to make them myself, as I have bought me a paper-pottery-maker a few years ago. It is really simple and ecological as the paper will dissappear and solve in the ground.
Again a Super article!!!

February 25, 2010 at 2:09 PM  
Blogger woolies said...

We just bought a bunch of seeds (veggies) and I was JUST talking to hubby about getting the seeds started. I know what I'm going to be making this weekend! Thanks!!

February 25, 2010 at 2:09 PM  
Blogger kat said...

we make those too! great turorial.

February 25, 2010 at 8:11 PM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

Great idea! thanks =)

February 26, 2010 at 12:16 AM  
Blogger germandolls said...

What a neat idea! i must tell my husband about them. =)

February 26, 2010 at 6:46 AM  
Anonymous The Magic Onions said...

looks so easy!!! I used egg cartons last year but it was very hard to get the seedlings out of them to plant without harming them... this is so much better. Thanks Erin!

February 26, 2010 at 5:41 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home