This page has moved to a new address.

Friday Interview with ViltalaKim

Natural Kids: Friday Interview with ViltalaKim

Saturday, November 22, 2008

Friday Interview with ViltalaKim


Today we get to meet Kim from viltalakim. She is a brand new member and I think you'll enjoy getting to meet our new thread sister from the Netherlands.

Tell us a little bit about yourself and how and when did you get started with arts and crafts?
I am Kim, aged 33, happily married, I have 2 girls(5 and 7) and live in The Netherlands.
I have a job as a florist teacher and my pupils are 14- 17 years old. It's a nice job to do, but to relax, I love (and need) to make felt.
Ever since I was a little girl I was always crafty, making things, creating, origami, little knitting, little simple sewing, little crocheting, working with beads, etc. My other passion at that time was classical ballet, which I tried to do at professional level. But unfortunately my body didn't have the right shape for that.... So I started an education to become a florist teacher. After working in a flowershop and making flower arrangements for 10 years I looked for a job as a teacher. During a Summer vacation in Sweden my friend introduced me in to the world of wet felting. I was immediately hooked to it!!!! At home I tried a lot by myself but also followed special felting workshops.

What is the main thing you make and sell in your shop? What else do you make or sell?
The main thing I make and sell in my store are wet felted crowns, animals and shawls. I have plans to make some more children mittens and hats as well. At the moment I have made some Christmas trees and I love to experiment a lot.




Where do you get your inspiration?
My inspiration comes from my children, nature and my surroundings. I often dream about an item how to make it. When I start making it ,it will be just the way I thought it would be. I also work very intuitive. I use colors that fit to the season.
What are your favorite materials?
Woolroving fibers of course! I have Gotland wool and Merino wool which I love to use because it's so soft and felts perfect. To make felt I also need soap and my favorite is 100% pure olive soap. It is gentle to my hands and smells good.

What advice would you give other Etsy sellers and those interested in opening up a shop?
Just do it! I have doubted for about a year now, before I opened an etsy shop, but I should have done it sooner. It's great fun, sending my items all over the world! And filling a shop is not that difficult.
My tip to beginners in Wet-felting: make samplers with different kinds of wool, so you'll now how much shrinkage that wool has, otherwise your item will be to small or stay to big. When you place layers of wool fibers, make them evenly thick. The thinner laid out, the more shrinkage.


What is your Etsy shop address and name? Where else can we find you?

My shop is http://viltalakim.etsy.com
I have not yet made my own website or blog, maybe in the future........
Shopname = Vilt Г la Kim. Vilt means felt in Dutch.

Thanks so much Kim! Next week meet my new co-writer for the Friday blog, huesofnature!
'til then, take care! Cynthia
http://fairiesnest.etsy.com

Labels: , , , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger TheSingingBird said...

Welcome to the team Kim, your shop looks beautiful!
:)

November 22, 2008 at 11:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello all,

And special too Cynthia from the fairiestnest to place my intervieuw here. I like being a member of the naturalkids team. Just need to have a bit more time to make new kids things and fill my shop with it. Other team members make also lovely kids items. Thank you for reading and welcome in my shop!

November 22, 2008 at 4:11 PM  
Blogger BirchLeaf Designs - Wendy and Mojo said...

Lovely creations Kim! And nice work Cynthia interviewing all of our natty friends!

November 23, 2008 at 12:37 AM  
Blogger matchstickgirl said...

lovely to read about you vilt!!!!

November 23, 2008 at 4:43 AM  
Blogger germandolls said...

I wonder what Gotland Roving is. Can someone shed some light on that? Never heard of it!
Hello, Kim! Loved reading about you. I wish I had dreams with ideas for dolls. Sounds like fun!Thanks for bringing us another inspiring interview to read, Cynthia!

November 23, 2008 at 6:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Gotland wool I am using is coming from Sweden. It is carded into "fleece" and rolled up. The fibres in this fleece are not karded in the same directions. I use this kind of wool to fill the felt up, so it becomes thicker. roving means: "discontinuous fibres,usually prepared by cutting filaments into lengths suitable for the yarn spinning process.Staple fibres are twisted to form a spun yarn."
In dutch we talk about 'lontwol' as well. This is a different kind of karded wool. You get wool in long "ropes"

November 23, 2008 at 3:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is very nice to meet you! :0) Welcome to this lovely team.

November 28, 2008 at 8:51 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home